Monday, August 8, 2011

This Month in Review: Part 1

So unemployment has allowed me to have lots of time to watch The Golf Fix and make some upgrades to my swing. I started by recording my swing from down the line and face-on with my PW, 8i, and Driver to see what things I needed to work on. Here is one swing that really shows everything I have been doing wrong.






Set-up position - okay, but standing way to straight up and maybe even slouching too much, which creates a steeper angle of attack = catching ball fat/thin.


Backswing - holy bad. Your left arm is supposed to stay straight the entire time, and if you pause at the top of my swing you can see that it clearly does not. Also, my right foot comes off of the ground, which causes my head to slide back/up, and also would contribute to catching the ball fat/thin.


Impact - Probably could use a little more body movement to drag my hands through from in to out a little bit more.


Follow through - not bad considering all that has happened in the swing up until that point :)



So after all of that, here is what I researched and found I should do to address these issues:


Practice making swings with just left hand and really focus on keeping arm straight/using body to drag the club. Also helps to use both hands take half-swings to feel what it's like to keep arm straight.


Place a ball under your right pinky toe to keep your right foot on the ground as long as possible and maintain balance (Don't do this with lots of people around, because if you fall, you look stupid).


Hit a ball and look at where your divot is: is it in front? Behind? Is there one at all? The divot should be slightly in front of your ball (left foot for right-handed player). Now put two tees to mark where you want to hit the ground and take practice swings with a divot.


If anyone else has any ideas or sees something I need to fix (other than being unemployed), let me know!




No comments:

Post a Comment